Saturday, November 16, 2013

Infusion Success

You may recall that at the end of our last exciting episode (on Wednesday), I had been unable to get my Velcade infusion due to my sodium levels being too low. We had similar problems today, but managed to work through them.

Last night, I tried increasing my salt intake and reducing my water intake in an attempt to raise sodium. I was actually taking salt tablets. However, when they tested me today, they found the same low sodium levels that they had seen on Wednesday.

I had brought a bunch of salty snacks and upon getting this news, I tore open and ate and entire large bag of White Cheddar Cheese Popcorn - the saltiest snack I had. I also took a couple of salt tablets and drank the rest of my V-8. After a half hour, they drew another sample and found this on to be 129. Progress but still not high enough.

The test had taken an hour or so and I suggested that some additional salt from the popcorn might have been absorbed and that they try again. We figured that this would be a real long-shot, but it was worth a try. And guess what? It worked. Hooray!

So, they gave me the infusion and sent me home. It is true that the dose they gave me was slightly reduced, but I was very happy to get anything. You can imaging that the thought of missing a second treatment was a bit depressing, but Barbara and I were both thrilled with even the slightly reduced amount.

So, we had a successful day and all is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment