Friday, November 15, 2013

Help! I'm talking and I can't shut up!

As you all know, I am right in the middle of my first chemo sequence. I am sure you have all heard about the horrors of chemotherapy, with the nausea and baldness, etc.. But it turns out that there are is chemo therapy that is not so bad and that is what I am getting. So far, I have had only very minor side effects.

One side effect that they warned me (or more accurately that they warned Barbara about) is that they said I might develop a tendency to talk more than usual. Yup - they said I might become a real "motor mouth". Imagine me talking more than usual. A frightening thought. I mean, really, how can someone talk more than "constantly". But it happens from time to time. When it does occur, it is as if my mouth can't keep up with my brain and I end up thinking a sentence ahead of where my mouth is. It is actually kind of weird from my perspective. I can only imagine how it is for Barbara.

But that would not be so bad if it were not for the other side effect. I have a propensity to get hiccups. The seem to start for no reason at all. So, not only is my mouth going a mile a minute, but I am hiccuping at the same time.

Now add to that the Oxycodone meds which may have a tendency to scramble my brain a bit.

Maybe I should have skipped the Zoning Board Meeting last night. You may be aware that I sit as a member of the Town of Meredith Zoning Board of Adjustment - the key word being "sit" which is no problem for me. I am not normally one of the more quiet members and let's just say that last night was no exception. Fortunately, I was mostly able to suppress the hiccups during the times I was actually speaking.

So, now we are getting ready for tomorrow's trip to Boston - hopefully for my chemo infusion. I will be working to get my salt levels up and let me tell you that I am making the absolute best of it. I went to the supermarket this morning and decided to purchase a bag of Cape Code Potato Chips. I chose the high fat variety - because it had more salt. I also found some cheese twirls  that had even more salt than the chips and then I found some cheese popcorn that has even more salt than the cheese twirls. I'm ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment