Thursday, October 24, 2013

Back from unexpected trip to LRGH

I just spent the last two days at Lakes Region General Hospital (LRGH) in Laconia.  Fortunately, it was nothing too serious although I did feel a lot like a pin cushion at the end of it.

In my last post, I mentioned that on Monday, we went to Hookset to get an infusion of a drug called Zumeta. The doctor warned us that one side effect could be a "slight fever". He said to call him if it got over 100.5. Well, it got to 103.7 and he told us to go to the ER.

When we got there, they figured it was probably some bacterial infection and they started pumping me full of some broad spectrum antibiotic. Also they put me on a saline drip because they said I was dehydrated and took a bunch of blood samples to see if I had anything weird growing in my blood.

As long as I was there as LRGH, my Dana Farber doctors decided that I should get an MRI of my spine. Turns out that LRGH shares one with two other hospitals. It is in a trailer that they haul around. Very convenient and apparently, it was a LRGH today so the stuffed me into the thing. I was in thre for close to an hour. They said, don't worry about it because we have headphones and music and you can listen to Mozart or a radio station. I chose the radio station, but accidentally told then to tune to a station that I rally can't stand. It didn't matter because once the machine started, I couldn't hear it anyway. Anyway, the good news is that the problem they were worried about in my spine had not occurred.

At the end of the day, they decided that I had no bacterial infection and my spine was OK. They gave me a bunch of drugs and sent me home.

Tomorrow, we have another appointment at Dana Farber. We were supposed to be there today, but the hospital visit slowed that down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment